uggabugga uggabugga

Author Topic: Is Dudeism atheism?  (Read 974 times)

Dudoclast

• Amateurs
Is Dudeism atheism?
« on: November 24, 2017, 11:31:25 PM »
It seems to me that the idea of a nihilist Dudeist is an oxymoron.  So why does it seem like so many Dudeists are outspoken atheist?  I've been lurking this forum for a while and this is my honest impression.  Let's discuss. 

mnale0507

• Dude
Re: Is Dudeism atheism?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2017, 11:44:06 PM »
Dudeism stresses the importance of not stressing, man. Maybe all that other stuff is real too and has some merit...or maybe not. Can't be worried about that shit man life goes on.

Kanantus

• Dude
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2017, 02:05:33 PM »
Being an atheist or a nihilist are not the same thing. An atheist doesn't believe in God and a nihilist doesn't believe in anything. Dudeism doesn't have a God or prophecy but you can be a believer if you want to. Dudeism is not nihilistic since we do believe in something like "take it easy" and "abide". It can be an "open source" religion where you can add whatever you want to it as long as it doesn't hurt anyone. 

Dudeism is often about rejecting the dogma of society and hence many dudeist also reject the dogma of the Abrahamic religions but if you don't then that's cool too.

Fuck it - that's your answer for everything.

jgiffin

• Dude
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2017, 12:33:14 AM »
That's an interesting comparison: how should we compare the Dude with the nihilists? I'm too drunk to analyze this completely right now. But it intrigues me too much, and I'm too drunk, to leave it alone entirely. At the topical level, it seems neither perspective gives a shit about anything...or maybe one gives a shit about nossing and the other about a very few things. Well, maybe. The nihilists are referred to as "fucking amateurs." Does this imply they are on the path to dudeism but have, perhaps, taken a different turn? And the nihilists seem motivated to abuse others while the Dude, in comparison, is primarily motivated to leave others alone.

Hell, man, I dunno. Any other, perhaps more organized, thoughts here? It seems fertile ground.

ChristianDude

• Dude
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2017, 12:48:47 AM »
To each their own Dudeism... United by abiding. Being true to yourself and others...

Many are atheists or even anti-theists (not very Dude)... Dudeism stays out of the ins & outs of stressing about things beyond living this life well. But Dudes all are welcome to their own style in pursuing it beyond that. But yes... by its nature it leans to the agnostic (rather than atheist... in my opinion).

Don?t let individual dudes define your opinion of Dudeism any more than you should for any other ethos... line it up with what Dudeism says about itself and the freedoms you have to plug it into your style. Someone not being very Dude is not at that moment living it... And of course lots of dudes trying to just copy THE Dude instead of applying the principles on their own.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 12:59:41 AM by ChristianDude »
~ Rev/Guro Christian Dude

"Dudeism is the outward expression of how we interact with the world and the dudes we encounter... The inner way we ruminate and allow things to affect our lives and atta-dude... Abiding."

BikerDude

• Dude
  • Time wounds all heels -John Lennon
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2017, 08:26:57 AM »
Free thinking leads to atheism.
In this case a slack sort of atheism.
Like a "can't be worried about all that shit" sort of atheism.

Out here we are all his children

Recent Posts

Store

Dude Vinci
Get Dudeism tee shirts, ordination certificates and more. Help feed our monkey.
Click Here

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 15, 2017, 02:57:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recently Posted

Winter Solstice
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 52368
  • Total Topics: 5998
  • Online Today: 229
  • Online Ever: 378
  • (May 10, 2017, 05:23:00 PM)