Forum > The Da Fino Code

Mistakes in The Big Lebowski

(1/4) > >>

Walter in Walden:
I was just watching the Big Lebowski for about the seventeenth time, and I couldn't help but notice that around 11:05 when the Dude is looking at the picture of the Little Lebowski Urban acheivers, Bryant seems to fuck up his line? He says "without the necessary means for a necessary means for a higher education". He says "necessary means for a" twice. Is that just a normal mistake a character might might make when explaining something? I mean, we all stall and repeat ourselves like that when we're trying to find the right word, but it seems to me like a mistake. Why would they script that?

DigitalBuddha:
Brandt always seemed to be somewhat nervous, and an ass kisser, when in the service of the big Lebowski. More than likely the actor, Philip Seymour Hoffman, made a mistake in that scene and the directors, the Coen brothers, decided to leave it in believing the botched up lines sounded natural.

Rev. Ed C:
The Coens are notorious for crafting their films with meticulous vision.  The scripts are just so and add-libs are extremely rare as they are perfectionists and only choose actors who they know can deliver exactly what they want, as they want it.

It could be a designed trait by them int he script, or it could have been a mistake that made them laugh enough to believe it should stay in and fitted so well.

Well, dude, we just might never know :)

Busmum:
"the necessary means for the necessary means..." i don't think it was a mistake-- it's rich person double speak, referring to the idea that one must have money to make money... same with a "quality" education. you have to have the right chinos and blazers to get into the right schools...

or that's how i took it. JMO  ::)

hannahdude:
it's in the script, not that that means anything, but i have a couple of differing scripts and it's in them both.
its also my favorite line in the movie, though rarely quoted by me or anyone else i know.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version