uggabugga uggabugga
Return to Dudeism.com |  recentposts2

Author Topic: Reviving the Relaxation Reminder?  (Read 336 times)

Masked Dude

• Global Moderator
  • Dude
  • Just call me Mask.
    • Mask's Unofficial Discord
Reviving the Relaxation Reminder?
« on: September 02, 2019, 05:38:20 PM »
I thought about reviving the Dudeism Relaxation Reminder. First, it would be an unofficial release. Second, it sort of runs on my Windows 10 machine. It takes forever to start, and I'm not entirely sure why. Based on it being a .NET project from that year, I'm guessing it's a Visual Basic project created in Visual Studio. The last few years have seen big jumps in .NET, including adding C#, F#, and others.

Here's the thing: it runs on any machine with the .NET framework. That means all Windows systems, but not all Mac or Linux systems. You can redo it via Mono Develop, but you'd still have to install libraries to run it. When I did a test app, a .NET app was less than 450kb, similar to the original. But... that's not counting the hundreds of MBs that came included with Windows.

So I decided to try a Java app. OK, it was less than 200KB. But again, that's not counting the runtime needed. I have Java already installed, specifically OpenJDK 12 and JavaFX 12 for other reasons. So I thought, what if someones doesn't have at least a JRE (Java RunTime) installed? Let me make one self-contained app. Now it jumped to about 48MB because it needed to include the JRE and a lot of libraries that the JRE needs.

Hm. Let me go back to an old programming language I used: Pascal. I used to use Delphi and now I'm playing with Lazarus and Free Pascal. I haven't really played with Pascal in years, but I made a little app in it. It was 2.75MB and it ran on my brother's Windows machine without any additional downloads. If I decided to compile the app on my Linux box, I'd have to install over 550MB of stuff to do it, but should any Linux users here need it, I probably would. I can run Mac OS in a virtual machine, albeit slowly.

So.... my main questions are:

How many know for sure they have Java installed? Usually this is more than just what your browser uses. I don't want anyone to have to download a 48MB app just to remind them of breaks.

How many Mac users are there here that would use it? Like I said, that virtual Mac is slow and takes a huge chunk of my RAM when it runs. It's worth it if I know people would use it. And how many Mac users have .NET Framework 4 installed? I'm thinking very few Mac users have it. Mac and iOS apps use Xcode, and I can't share any of my code to a Mac. Microsoft development is mostly C#, etc, and Mac is Xcode and Swift.

I could write the app in Pascal, although that would be a slow start since I haven't used Pascal in so long.

Any thoughts?
* Carpe diem all over the damn place *
Abide like the Dude when you can
Yell like Walter when you must
Be like Donny when you are

Ordained 2012-Aug-25
Honorary PhD Pop Cultural Studies, Abidance Counseling, Skeptology
Highly Unofficial Discord: https://discord.gg/XMpfCSr

Masked Dude

• Global Moderator
  • Dude
  • Just call me Mask.
Re: Reviving the Relaxation Reminder?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2019, 12:53:49 PM »
This is going to take longer than I thought

In Lazarus/FreePascal, there are very few cross-platform audio options. That means I can play sounds in Windows, but that code doesn't work on Macs or Linux.

In Java, I can play sounds, but again there's the issue of Java libraries. Mac OS X 10.7 and above no longer come with Java pre-installed. Also, it uses JavaFX, which would have to be installed along with Java's JRE (Java Run Time Environment).

This may not be possible.

For any of you tech dudes, I know that Electron and ReactJS are cross-platform. however, the issue with Electron is that it runs in a VM (virtual machine), which has huge RAM requirements. Basically, if you make an Electron app, you're starting a VM that runs a browser that runs your Electron app. I've heard the lowest RAM use is around 800MB. Even Discord uses a lot of RAM. They heavily streamline the libraries and code, but I don't have the resources to do just that.

So, dudes... I don't know if this is going to work.

Ordained 2012-Aug-25

Masked Dude

• Global Moderator
  • Dude
  • Just call me Mask.
Re: Reviving the Relaxation Reminder?
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2019, 02:41:18 PM »
Project is on hold until I can figure this out.

Sorry for getting anyone's hopes up.

Ordained 2012-Aug-25

Recent Posts

Store

Dude Vinci
Get Dudeism tee shirts, ordination certificates and more. Help feed our monkey.
Click Here

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 16, 2019, 02:19:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recently Posted

Members
  • Total Members: 3131
  • Latest: worldwa
Stats
  • Total Posts: 53110
  • Total Topics: 5965
  • Online Today: 537
  • Online Ever: 1446