uggabugga uggabugga
Return to Dudeism.com |  recentposts2

Author Topic: The Epicurean practice of "abiding"  (Read 126 times)

Hiram Crespo

• Mark it Zero Posts
The Epicurean practice of "abiding"
« on: January 02, 2019, 06:40:18 PM »
I?m reading this article on gratitude in Epicurean philosophy in academia.edu titled /38052413/The_Ethical_Significance_of_Gratitude_in_Epicureanism

the article reminds me of what Ancient Greek Epicureans called ?katastematic pleasure? which today is translated in english as "abiding pleasure".

The essay says: "? Gratitude anchors one in a harbor, securing (literally, ?locking down?, katakleisas) the goods of life. Unlike the young man ?wandering by chance? (Vatican Sayings 17, 19) from excitement and joy to disappointment and pain, his state of mind blown by the uncertain winds of a churning sea, the old man achieves stability and peace, using his ?secure sense of gratitude? both to focus attention on the goods in his life and to insulate himself from misfortunes and set-backs.?

" ...while I am grateful, it helps to etch the experience more firmly in my memory. Finally, gratitude also plays a role later, when I must draw on memories to ameliorate present suffering. It helps me to remember, to make the memory ?fresh? and, as it were, to inhabit that experience, blocking out or diminishing the occurrent pain or misfortune.?

so "abiding in gratitude/pleasure" was literally a practice of the ancient Epicureans which emancipated them from having to rely on the pleasures of the immediate moment, like the Cyrenaics had to. They were able to reminisce about past pleasures or anticipate future ones, and this is part of how they cultivated gratitude.[/ftp][/ftp]

Recent Posts

Store

Dude Vinci
Get Dudeism tee shirts, ordination certificates and more. Help feed our monkey.
Click Here

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 21, 2019, 10:52:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recently Posted

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 52948
  • Total Topics: 5971
  • Online Today: 184
  • Online Ever: 378
  • (May 10, 2017, 05:23:00 PM)
Users Online