The Floyd boys put it well..
"Life is a short warm moment/
And death is a long cold rest/
You get your chance to try/in the twinkling of an eye/
Eighty years with luck or even less."
... I figure I'm a bit over half-way there.
I do have a few favourite maxims, though. I know they're not much more than bumper stickers, but hell, they work for me.
1) Never do anything you wouldn't want to explain to a paramedic.
2) Some people are just bastard coated bastards with bastard filling.
3) It's not the fall that hurts - it's the stop at the end. (I have personal knowledge of this universal truth)
4) The early bird may get the worm - but the second mouse gets the cheese.
5) Not all who wander are lost.
6) Inside every old person there's a young person wondering what the fuck happened.
7) Don't die wondering.
Cheesy, yeah, do they work, hell yeah.